This is a map of the current activity on Mauna Loa.Read More
Below are some links to resources you may want to use while planning your trip.
- Volcanos National Park
- What's Going On With The Volcano?
- USGS Volcano Status Page - Detailed & Updated
- Airline Information for Kona Airport
- Island of Hawai'i Official Visitor Site
- Kohala Coast Visitor Information - This is where we will be.
- Kona Visitor Information - This is, most likely, where your fly into the Big Island - South of hotel.
- Pu'uhonua O Honaunau National Park - This is a stop on our itinerary.
- St. Benedict's Catholic Church - AKA "The Painted Church"
- Shaka - Hang Loose
There is just so much to see and do on the Big Island of Hawaii. And it is truly a photographers paradise. Do some research and let's make sure we come home with some really outstanding images.
Photo Hot Spots
Click on the map below to see an interactive map of "some" of the locations that we are planning on seeing. Note, we are not planning on going to the east side of the island or to the volcano during the workshop. Those locations are added so you can plan your extra time.
There is a lot to do on the Big Island of Hawaii and we encourage you to plan to come early or stay late. Or both. While you're on the island you should plan time to see Volcano National Park. We will not be going to the volcano or over to Hilo during the tour - it's a big island and we want to minimize windshield time.
To help plan your trip, one of the best books I've found about the island is Hawaii The Big Island Revealed, by Andrew Doughty and Harriett Friedman.
We are planning several hands-on learning sessions at the Marriott Waikoloa Beach Resort and Spa. The venue was chosen not only for its spectacular grounds and first class facility, it is also strategically located at Anaeho'omalu Bay, one of the most photogenic sunset spots in Hawaii.
The agenda is etched in Jello. It will take shape as we get closer to the event but is also subject to last minute changes due to weather, volcanic activity, and other factors. Check back from time to time to see the exciting activities that we will be adding.
Wednesday, May 23, 2018
- Travel day. Flights from the mainland generally arrive in the afternoon and early evening. This is a travel day. There are no activities planned for this day.
- The closest airport to our hotel is Kona/Kailua Airport (KOA). It's just a 20 minute drive north to our hotel.
- The host hotel is the Marriott Waikoloa Beach Resort & Spa.
Thursday, May 24
- Sunrise: 5:45 am
- Sunset: 6:55 pm
Enjoy the breakfast buffet in the Hawai'i Calls Restaurant - we've included it in the cost of the workshop.
- We will meet at 10:00 am and kick off our activities.
- Join us for a welcome dinner.
Friday, May 25
The Mauna Kea Loop - Hamakua Coast
- Today we head over to the Hamakua Coast - the lush rainforest side of the island. Average rainfall at our hotel is about 8 - 10 inches a year. In a short time we climb up and over to the Hamakua Coast - the we side of the island, where the average rainfall is 240 inches a year.
- Waipio Valley Overlook
- Waterfalls along the way;
- Umauma Falls - one of Rob's favorites
- Kama'e'e Falls
- Akaka Falls - the 440 foot marvel
- Onomea Falls
- Hawai'i Tropical Botanical Gardens
- We return to Waikoloa via the overland highway that climbs up the south ridge of Mauna Kea and through the forest reserve and down the western slope of the volcano back to our hotel on Waikoloa beach.
Saturday, May 26
- Today we stay closer to home.
- A morning run up to Kapaau - say "hello" to the statue of King Kamehameha
- Pololu Valley Lookout for spectacular views over the Pololu Valley - Just 2,500 miles over the horizon is Los Angeles.
- Photoshoot on the beach
- Sunset shoot on the famous Anaeho'omalu Beach
Sunday, May 27, 2018
The Kona Coast
Today we explore the Kona coast - heading south from our hotel. The Kona District stretches from our hotel, south to Pu'uhonua o Hanaunau, The City of Refuge. Along the way, we'll find hidden beaches coffee farms and many historic and photogenic sights.
Just south of the airport in the heart of Kona is the historic seaside town of Kailua.
- Kailua Village
- Visit Pu'uhonua o Honaunau (City of Refuge)
- Visit St. Benedict's Catholic Church - AKA, the Painted Church
- Visit Kailua Village Farmer's Market
Monday, May 28, 2018
Today we catch up on all those things we wanted to do but didn't have time. We'll photograph some of the world's most beautiful beaches and get creative with the waves pounding the rocks.
- You'll have some free time for whatever activity excites you. As part of the workshop, you get to free access to some of the beach activities.
- We will wrap up the tour with a first-class sunset Lu'au - front row priority access. Only the best for a Corbell Workshop attendee.
Tuesday, May 29, 2018
Travel day. There are no activities scheduled for this day. It is a travel day. Many of the flights back to the mainland leave late morning and early afternoon so enjoy your breakfast and have a safe trip home.
This agenda is subject to change.
What We Won't See
The Big Island of Hawaii is so big, we just don't have time to see it all during the workshop. And, there is one stop that you really need to see. We encourage you to take a couple extra days and visit Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park. Kilauea is the worlds most active volcano and has been continuously erupting since the early 1980's.
It is a real treat to explore the park where you can see land that was created in the last couple years, next to petroglyphs carved over five centuries ago.
There are a few things you need to know before you register for our trip to Hawaii. Please be aware...
- If you will be sharing a room with someone else, you're eligible for a $1,500 discount. This could be a non-photographer spouse or another photographer - it makes no difference.
- This companion discount is available when two people are registered together, indicate that they will share a room, and paid for on one credit card.
- At the bottom of the Travel Information section, be sure to click Add Another Person.
- Finally, when you select your Lodging preferences, be sure to enter a name in the Sharing With field (#5).
Enter Travel Information
You may not have your flight information when you register but we will need your airline and flight arrival and departure information when you do get it. It can be added at a later date.
NOTE: If you are traveling with another person, this is where you "Add Another Person".
We have reserved a block of rooms for the duration of the workshop. However, you may want to come early or stay late. Be sure to enter the check-in date (#1) and the check-out Date (#2).
Our contract states that we will get the Run of the House (Best Available) rooms. Let me know if you want to spring for the Penthouse Suite to host our workshop wine parties. (#3)
Finally, let us know the bed configuration you'd like. It's basically one or two beds in the room. (#4) and indicate which whom you will be sharing your room.
Check-In & Check-Out Dates
The official dates that are included in the program cost are for check-in on May 23, 2018, and check-out on May 29, 2018. We have, however, made arrangements with the hotel to allow our guests to arrive up to three days early or stay three days beyond our program dates.
If you would like to arrive early you can take advantage of our special contract with the hotel. The cost for each extra night is only $285 per room and we have included the state and tourist taxes, resort fee, daily parking, buffet breakfast and internet access for that charge.
To include only the dates of the workshop enter 5/23/2018 as the Check-In date and 5/29/2018 as the check-out date.
Note: Our system is a little odd. If you add extra nights, the charge will be included in billing detail but it will average the rate over the total nights at the resort. It will still work out to be $285 per night.
The system will ask for travel information - your airline arrival and departure information. Although these fields are not "required" fields, we will need, at a minimum, your airline arrival details. These can be added at a later date.