Workshop Planning

What to Take

When packing, consider the location to where you will be traveling and be sure you have appropriate clothing.  Many locations can have widely varying temperatures, especially if you’ll experience significant altitude changes. 

See Packing Checklist below

Although Corbell Photographic Workshops generally don’t involve any significant or strenuous hikes, you should have good walking/hiking shoes. Many of the areas in which we travel can have uneven, rocky, slippery or wet surfaces.

You may also be spending many hours out in remote areas with limited facilities. We recommend that you plan on bringing drinking water and snacks - these can often be purchased when you arrive at your destination. 

International Travel

International travel requirements vary greatly depending upon your destination.  Be sure to check with your travel agent or airline about specific requirements.  Ensure your immunizations are up to date.  You must have a valid passport and, depending upon the destination, a valid visa.

Also note that the passport must be valid for several months past your return date. For most countries this is six months, but that is a requirement of the country you are visiting so you should check with them. 

Check with the US State Department for specific passport requirements. 

International Electrical Considerations

As you plan for your international trip, you need to consider the electrical service which is quite different than that used in the United States. Unlike North America, most of the world's electrical service is 220-240 volts at 50Hz.  In the US, electricity is usually delivered at 120 volts and 60Hz.  You'll also find that the outlets look quite different from what you see in your own home.  

Before we continue, you have to consider what you are bringing.  Any device that uses electricity are divided into two groups.

Electrical Devices

These are devises that have heating elements or mechanical motors, the most common being;

  • Hair Dryer
  • Electric shaver or toothbrush
  • Irons
  • Coffee Maker or water heater

Electronic Devises  

These items use circuit boards and chips, the most common being;

  • Laptop computer, tablet, e-reader etc.
  • Smartphone or MP3 player
  • Camera
  • Battery chargers

Our recommendation is to leave any electrical devises at home.  You'll usually find a hairdryer in every hotel room or cabin on a ship.  If you really want to bring an electrical device, you'll need to figure out the voltage requirements.  If it is a dual voltage device, then all you need is a plug adapter.  If not - like most hair dryers, curling irons etc. - then you would need a voltage converter or transformer in addition to the adapter plug.  Just know, we've seen hair dryers that were plugged into pretty decent voltage converters and still burned up.  

For all your electronic devices you'll find that most of them will work at any voltage and all you need is an adapter plug.  Adapters are inexpensive and are often sold in kits.  You don't need a kit with a transformer and every adapter for international travel. These tend to be an expensive waste of money.

For most of Europe, including Greece, you'll use a Euro style adapter that is simply two round prongs.  If you're going to the UK or Ireland, you'll want to have a Great Britain style three-prong adapter.  

Packing Checklist

Exactly what to take on any trip is really a personal choice. But take this advice from one who knows; "Take twice the cash and half the clothes." 

For a list of suggested items, click on the link below to download our checklist.